Day 5 of Janathon was the “back to work” day for me and for many others. It could have been an excuse for slacking, but in truth it was the thought of getting out for some exercise that kept me sane.
- Lunchtime run – an out’n’back up to & along the Regents canal – 4.3 miles at a comfortable pace
- Evening run with the Hadlow Running Group – 3 miles in 29 minutes – I was pacing one of our group as she aims to get back to a sub-30 parkrun level.
- Late swim – 20 Lengths = 500 Metres. I was trying to get the 1st 16 done at 1 min intervals, but I needed to throw a couple of extra minutes rest in. This would give me 400M (the sprint Tri distance) in 17.5 minutes. If I could halve that time, it would be respectable. Lots of room for improvement.
Jantastic started today. I’ve logged the lunchtime run & the swim, but I decided the evening run didn’t really count. My weekly target is 8 sessions. The Jantastic site has managed to calculate 2 out of 8, as 42% progress. Hopefully just teething problems.
Day 4 Janathon Activity:
- Run 8 miles steady – flat roads
- Swim 20 Lengths – 12 Lengths at 1 min intervals, 8 Lengths with pull bouy
- Cycle 22 miles – flat roads
Hot & Cold was the theme of the day. The run & the ride were both on the chilly side; including patches of near-freezing fog to liven things up. By contrast, the water in Tonbridge pool was way too hot, more suitable for boiling lobsters than lap swimming. Still at least there was enough space to swim lengths without having to slalom around people. All activities were completed uneventfully.
The big news of the day, for me, came between the run & the swim. We took a trip out to Kelly Holmes’ new cafe 1809 in Hildenborough for brunch. It’s not every day you get greeted by a double Olympic gold medal winning hero over breakfast! The cafe was a real pleasure. While we were there, a mix of cyclists, families & couples generated a really happy atmosphere & the serving staff were attentive & seemed to be enjoying their work. If you’re in the vicinity, I would recommend a visit.
Back to work tomorrow. The commute should be “interesting” with the disruption at London Bridge affecting all the Cannon Street trains. However, on the positive side, Jantastic starts tomorrow & I’m signed up for the Tonbridge parkrun team.
A new day, a new year and the chance for personal renewAl & reinvention. No resolutions from me, but I do have some questions:
- Will 2015 be the year I finally learn how to swim far enough to enter a triathlon?
- Can I stay injury-free for long enough to recover some running form?
- How am I going to reignite my cycling mojo?
- Should I take on a SUP/Bike/Run challenge?
I don’t know the answers to any of the above, but I intend having fun finding out.
Despite some misgiving I have signed up for Janathon. Hopefully I’ll avoid my self-destructive cycle of getting too competitive about the mileage. I am also signed up for Jantastic (starts Jan 5th) and I’ve entered a 10K road race at the beginning of March. Busy, busy, busy.
Janathon day 1:
- Run 3.1 miles
- Volunteer parkrun marshal/photographer
- Run 4 miles